Don Culkin is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia, and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. Prior to joining Burnett & Williams, he had a general law practice that included a wide range of civil and criminal litigation matters, real estate, and land development. Since coming to Burnett & Williams, Don has covered cases in the Leesburg, Winchester and Reston offices, establishing an impressive track record in various personal injury matters including medical malpractice, premises liability, products liability, and automobile accidents.
In over 20 years with Burnett & Williams, Don’s outstanding analytical skills, along with his experience as a licensed professional engineer, have been invaluable to the firm. His lifelong interest in machinery led to undergraduate and graduate degrees in mechanical engineering. Don worked for several years as an engineer at a large architect-engineering firm in Roanoke, designing HVAC systems with an emphasis on energy conservation. After five years as an engineer, Don realized he wanted to find a way to help people more directly, and he enrolled in law school at the University of Virginia.
For Don, the primary role of a lawyer is to provide access to justice. He takes pride in making sure insurance companies live up to their obligations. For every client, every day, Don endeavors to ensure the system treats them fairly. He has participated in numerous cases before the Virginia Supreme Court and has been critical to successes in several substantial medical malpractice and wrongful death cases.
When Don is not concentrating on legal work, he enjoys attending baseball games at Fireman’s Field in Purcellville, Davenport Field in Charlottesville, and Nationals Park in Washington. He also enjoys tinkering with old equipment on his horse farm in Hamilton, and converting his 1959 Massey Ferguson MF65 from gas to diesel is one of his proudest mechanical achievements.
Don is active in various community-related Bar Association activities and is on the Boards of Directors of Legal Services of Northern Virginia, Inc. In 2001, Don was elected President of the Loudoun County Bar Association. In 2004, he received the Justice Harry L. Carrico Award for exceptional contribution in providing pro bono legal services to the poor.
- ATTORNEY, BURNETT & WILLIAMS, P.C., LEESBURG, VA 1996 – PRESENT
- ATTORNEY, HAIGHT, TRAMONTE, SICILIANO & FLASK, P.C., VIENNA, VA 1994 – 1996
- ATTORNEY, SOLE PRACTITIONER, LEESBURG, VA 1992 – 1994
- ATTORNEY, HAZEL & THOMAS, P.C., FALLS CHURCH AND LEESBURG, VA 1989 – 1992
- ENGINEER, HAYES, SEAY, MATTERN & MATTERN, ROANOKE, VA AND ROCKVILLE, MD 1981 – 1986
- JURIS DOCTOR, UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA 1989
- MASTER OF SCIENCE, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIVERSITY 1982
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA 1979
- VIRGINIA STATE BAR
- VIRGINIA TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION
- LOUDOUN COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION
- ASSOCIATION OF TRIAL LAWYERS OF AMERICA
- LICENSED PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER