If you have been injured due to a slip, trip, or fall on someone else’s property, you have had what is often referred to as a “Slip-And-Fall” accident and you may benefit from the services of slip-and-fall injury lawyers. The term “Slip-And-Fall” can be misleading; it sounds minor, but a person can sustain significant injuries from a fall. Common injuries can range from sprains and fractures to spinal damage and traumatic brain injury. The injuries suffered in a fall can result in expensive medical interventions, long-term rehabilitation, and short-term or long-term loss of income. According to the CDC, falls are the leading cause of injury deaths in older Americans.
The term “Slip-And-Fall” can conjure images of a minor accident due to the injured person’s clumsiness. This portrait is often far from the truth. Many times, an injury is the result of property owner negligence. Property owners must take reasonable measures to ensure that their premises are safe and that the property is maintained, and promptly address unsafe hazards. Common hazards causing slip-and-fall injuries include debris left on the floor, recently washed and waxed floors, spills that made the floors slippery, uneven floors or loose tiles, lack of handrails, loose carpet, and icy walkways.
To win a slip-and-fall case, you must prove that the property owner was on notice of an unsafe condition and failed to repair or make the property safe in a reasonable time. The injured person must have been on the property legally, for example, as a guest or shopping during regular business hours. Also, bear in mind that, in Virginia, the law of contributory negligence means that if you are even 1% responsible for causing the accident, you will not be eligible to make a claim.
Virginia’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including slip-and-fall accidents, is generally two years. This timeframe is good news as the impact and severity of some injuries may not be immediately apparent. The steps you take in the first few moments after you are involved in a slip-and-fall accident can make a big difference in your ability to recover in a personal injury claim.
- Report the incident. Do not make any statements that could jeopardize your claim. Do not minimize your experience or take responsibility. In a public venue, the premises staff will usually check in immediately. Shrugging off the seriousness of the injury to be polite or alleviate embarrassment could undermine your claim should you have serious injuries.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible.
- Take notes on witnesses and conditions. Take photos of your injuries. If the accident happened in a public space, get a copy of an accident report.
You will likely begin to receive calls very soon after the accident. The insurance company for the property owner often takes the lead. Remember, they are seeking to limit claims and reduce damages.
Before talking to insurance companies, consider speaking to a lawyer specializing in personal injury cases. Having an experienced slip-and-fall injury lawyers in your corner can make the difference between getting no compensation and being compensated fairly for your damages.
Consider These Factors When Researching Slip-And-Fall Incident Attorneys
Selecting the proper legal representation for your Slip-And-Fall case is critical. Ask yourself the following questions.
- How easy was it to contact someone at the law firm? Did they make you feel comfortable?
- Do their personal injury lawyers have experience with Slip-And-Fall accidents?
- Does the personal injury law firm have good ratings, and are they well respected in Virginia?
- Can they provide testimonials from other clients?
- Do they offer free, no-obligation consultations to determine if you have a case to pursue?
Contact Us Today
Having an experienced legal team managing all aspects of your personal injury case will take the pressure off and ensure you receive the full settlement that you are entitled to. Burnett and Williams is one of Virginia’s most respected and established personal injury law firms. We have a proven track record. Contact us today for a free consultation.