Finding the right personal injury lawyer in VA can make the difference between getting fair compensation for your injuries and being left with bills and financial hardship. The last thing you and your family need is to juggle phone calls and worry about your personal injury case when you should be focusing on healing and getting your life back on track. Securing legal representation from a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law will begin to take the pressure off and let you or your family member focus on healing. Finding the right representation is an important endeavor.
Your Guide to Seeking Personal Injury Legal Assistance
Remember that there are many specialties in the field of law. Finding a lawyer specializing in personal injury law ensures that they have the knowledge and experience to assess your case, investigate, and represent you. The insurance companies will have specialists focused on minimizing or invalidating your claim. Shouldn’t you have a specialist on your side as well?
This step-to-step guide will help you partner with an attorney that is right for you.
- Your personal injury lawyer is your guide and partner. Don’t underestimate the importance of the rapport and trust that you feel. If you don’t feel that you will be heard and respected, move on.
- Look for a Virginia law firm that is well respected and has ties to your community. A good reputation is essential.
- Identify potential law firms through word-of-mouth referrals and internet research. You will be looking for a legal team with a strong track record in personal injury cases. It would be best if you also looked for a firm with results and expertise with similar cases, whether medical malpractice, vehicle accidents, wrongful death claims, slip and fall injuries, or product malfunctions.
- Narrow the potential firms to three or four prospects and schedule initial consultations to evaluate your case and determine if this firm is the right one for you.
- Get organized. Ask each firm the same questions so you can compare apples to apples. You will want to gather information on the following:
- Check out the types of personal injury cases they successfully handled and review their track record for verdicts and settlements. Have they had success in cases like yours? Ensure they have negotiated with insurance companies and secured settlements that reflect the actual costs.
- Find out which personal injury lawyer in VA the firm will assign to your case. How responsive will they be to your calls and questions? What about other members of the team?
- Ask about the fees. Does the firm charge on contingency (the fee is a percentage of the settlement, and there is no fee if the case is not settled)? What costs does the contingency fee include? Are there any costs not included?
- Ask what happens if a favorable settlement or verdict is NOT secured. Will any fees or costs need to be reimbursed out of pocket?
- Review their trial experience and their track record. While most personal injury cases will be settled through negotiation, having a successful track record with cases that go to trial is essential. You will want that option at your disposal.
- Weigh the results of your research. Determine what the most critical factors are. Trust your instincts and select the lawyer that is the best match for you.
With an experienced personal injury lawyer in VA at your side, you can begin to heal and rebuild with the security of knowing that they have been through this before and have your best interests in mind.
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has been injured, hiring the right Virginia personal injury lawyer could be one of the most important steps in recovering a settlement that covers your losses. Burnett & Williams is one of Virginia’s oldest and most recognized personal injury law firms. We are experts in personal injury law and have a proven track record. Contact us today for a free consultation.